TripAdvisor – Angkor Wat Voted 3rd Best Place to Visit 2017
TripAdvisor recently announced its “Best 25 Destinations in the World” and Angkor Wat, Siem Reap – Cambodia has soared up the list, now to be placed at Number 3 and is the fastest growing “hotspot” to visit in Asia.
TripAdvisor is an American based website company providing reviews of travel-related content and is one of the most trusted names in travel. With more than 315 million members it has over 500 million reviews of hotels, restaurants, attractions and other travel-related businesses.
TripAdvisor was founded by Stephen Kaufer and Langley Steinert, and the site was launched in February 2000, however, their original concept was not what we see today.
The founders revealed that the original idea was not to create a user-generated social media site to swap reviews, but rather, “We started as a site, where we were focused more on those official words from guidebooks or newspapers or magazines. We also had a button in the very beginning that said, “Visitors add your own review”, and boy did that just take off.”
Pretty soon the number of average consumer reviews far surpassed the number of professional comments. That is when the site really turned into this collection of what people were saying about the world of travel.
TripAdvisor now celebrates its 17th birthday this year and in a relatively short period of time, it has gone from an unknown firm run in a tiny office above a Massachusetts pizza shop, growing into the world’s most visited travel website.
10 things you didn’t know about TripAdvisor
- The company was founded in February 2000 in a small office above a pizza shop called Kosta’s in Needham, Massachusetts and grew from there into the multimillion dollar company.
- The rating scores given by each reviewer were measured in “bubbles” not stars as we know it today.
- The first ever traveler to post a review on review on TripAdvisor was of Captain’s House Inn in Chatham, Massachusetts – which earned a rating of four bubbles.
- The top contributor on TripAdvisor has been a member named Brad Jill from Hong Kong, who has posted the most reviews in the history of the site – with a staggering 3,200 comments and counting.
- Millions of people have seen the TripAdvisor ‘owl’ logo, but not many travelers know why one eye is red and the other green. The two colors symbolize the way travelers choose – good places to visit is symbolized by the green eye, and where not go – is represented by the red eye.
- Many people think that TripAdvisor is synonymous with hotel reviews, however, there are actually more restaurants listed on TripAdvisor than hotels.
- The most reviewed city in the world is London, England and has over 1.8 million reviews of hotels, restaurants and attractions.
- MariaAA is the longest registered member of the TripAdvisor community and joined the site in 2002.
- Venetian Resort Hotel Casino in Las Vegas, USA is the hotel with the most five-star reviews – over 9,500 and counting.
- The total word count of all the reviews on TripAdvisor stands at more than 10 billion – nearly 12,000 times the number of words in the entire works of Shakespeare.
Visitors to TripAdvisor are acknowledging what an amazing place Angkor Wat is – it one of the 7 Wonders of the World and has an approximately 2 million visitors each year and growing.
Angkor Wat was completed in the 12th century and it is estimated that by the 13th century, over 1 million people lived in the area. By the 14th century the site was almost completely abandoned, which was thought to be the result of war from neighboring countries.
Lost in the jungle and overgrown by trees, Angkor Wat became a lost treasure until it was rediscovered in the 18th century by a French Explorers. Upon further expeditions, they realized that they had come across something special and this magnificent temple was huge, spanning an area of 162 football fields.
Conducting further exploration in the area, many more remarkable temples were uncovered that had been lost in the jungle and now makes up Angkor Thom Archaeology Park.
The city of Siem Reap is only 8 km from Angkor Wat and has its own International airport with direct flights opening up from all around the world.
TripAdvisor has over 33,000 reviews of Angkor Wat – and here is what some people have to say.
This review covers the entirety of the temples at Siem Reap. We visited the temples twice while we were staying in Siem Reap and each time was such an amazing, spiritual experience.
If you are lucky, you can find a monk performing blessings within the temples (just ensure you don’t touch them if you’re a woman!).
I highly recommend taking the opportunity to watch the sunrise over Angkor Wat. It is indescribable and I promise you won’t miss the sleep!
Review Sarah W: TripAdvisor
Just do it while you’re alive. Organize a guide fluent in your language, and see one of the wonders of the world. At least once.
Review John D: TripAdvisor
Amazing place to visit
Don’t miss Angkor Wat and if you can manage to go at sunrise it is particularly beautiful. It’s amazing. I absolutely LOVE this place and the history, amazed at the abilities of the past kingdoms.
The whole complex is fascinating and makes for an amazing trip.
Review Jackie S: TripAdvisor
Angkor Wat and its surrounding ancient temples is an awe inspiring area to experience…and is quickly climbing the TripAdvisor ladder of the best places to visit in the world.
Come and visit Angkor Wat for your next holiday…and have a trip you will never forget.