Full Belly Farm
An initiative of ABC’s and Rice Full Belly Farm consists of; a large scale fish farm, a growing chicken coop capable of housing up to 700 chickens, banana trees and large vegetable patches.
It employs local people and teaches them the skills to completely run the farm, as well as equips them with a sustainable social enterprise scheme.
The plan is based, not only on the nutritional requirements of the children at ABCs and Rice, but also on the knowledge that Cambodia’s current agricultural methods reduce it to the lowest food producer per capita within ASEAN (Association of SE Asian Nations).
The main goals for the farm are to:
- Alleviate food costs in Breakfast Club and Food Drops/Reverse Tuition Programs
- Increase nutritional value in current food programs
- Add sustainability to the Food and Education programs
- Act as an experimental site, with the goal of improving local agricultural methods
- Become a training facility for rural farmers Perhaps most importantly, this project aims to become a model of sustainability and a pilot project which can be replicated and implemented in other locations further into rural Cambodia, across the underdeveloped regions of South East Asia and throughout the developing world to help those who are hungry and uneducated, well into the future.
Run through ABC’s and Rice Breakfast Club is not a new concept but is instrumental in our ability to offer a good education – all children are offered a hot and nutritious meal each day.
Many of our children have very limited access to food at home, and nutritional values are low in priority in a family who can barely conquer the pangs of hunger. Starchy water with small amounts of rice is most often the meal to be shared with the family. Health issues and an inability to focus in class are the obvious result.
Providing these children with a quality meal in the morning allows them the energy and focus needed to learn and play. It also relieves more of the financial burden on their struggling families.
For more information on how to volunteer with us please;
1. Contact ABCs and Rice directly: [email protected]
2. Contact Globalteer, a volunteer placement organization that we are proud to be working with.
3. Contact ConCERT Cambodia, a responsible tourism volunteer placement organization that we’ve proudly collaborated with for many years.
Follow us on Facebook
For more information about volunteering in Siem Reap visit our Volunteer Section and find out how you can help.